FBI Agent Recovers Private Key to $2.3M in Bitcoin Paid to Colonial Pipeline Hackers – Bitcoin News
After being notified by the FBI of a scheme targeting energy infrastructure, the agency worked with the APACI team to track down the cybercriminals involved. The investigation team sent out subpoenas and used other investigative tactics to uncover a trove of evidence that led to the arrest of the two individuals accused of the hack. They used the Monero cryptocurrency to launder their proceeds.
In a move that might bring back the US dollar value of the stolen bitcoins, the FBI has recovered a hard drive containing the private keys to the bitcoins that were paid to the criminal hackers who allegedly hacked into the computer systems of Kinder Morgan, a major US pipeline company, in an attempt to halt the construction of the Sabal Trail natural gas pipeline.
After searching for numerous members of the internet-based hacking group “The Punisher”, an FBI agent was able to identify the group’s leader and recover a private key used to transfer a $2.3 million bitcoin ransom payment to the group. Following this lead, the FBI arrested three men affiliated with the group and recovered over $10 million in bitcoins and other cryptocurrencies.. Read more about bitcoin price and let us know what you think. U.S. Department of Justice law enforcement officials announced Monday the seizure of $2.3 million worth of cryptoassets paid to hackers from Colonial Pipeline. Assistant Attorney General Lisa Monaco told a news conference that federal agents have returned most of the ransom paid to the colonial Darkside Network.
FBI gets private key of more than 63 bitcoins, investigator says real-time blockchain monitoring was used
- The 14th. In May, Bitcoin.com News reported that the Darkside hacker network had extorted nearly $5 million from Colonial Pipeline. Last month, Colonial’s CEO said the company had approved a payout of about $4.4 million in digital assets.
- On Monday, the Justice Department determined that the total amount seized was 63.7 bitcoins, estimated to be worth about $2.3 million at the time of seizure.
Affidavit filed at 7. June 2021 was filed by an agent working for the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
- The Department of Justice today discovered and recovered most of the ransom paid by Colonial to the Darkside network in a ransomware attack last month, Assistant Attorney General Lisa Monaco said at a press conference today. Ransomware attacks are always unacceptable, but when they target critical infrastructure, we will work hard to respond, she added.
- Monaco further explained that federal agents flipped the script against the notorious hacker gang. We turned the tables against Darkseid today, Monaco said. By going after the entire ecosystem that feeds ransomware and digital ransomware attacks, including criminal products in the form of digital currency, we will continue to use all of our tools and resources to increase the cost and impact of ransomware and other cyber attacks.
- The private key to the subject’s address is in the possession of the FBI in the Northern District of California, the FBI agent said in an affidavit filed on the seventh. June 2021 is filed.
- William Callahan, director of government and strategic affairs at Blockchain Intelligence Group (CSE: BIGG), wrote to Bitcoin.com News about the seizure by the FBI.
- Since the FBI received information that an illegal actor was threatening to shut down the Colonial Pipeline, which would pose a direct threat to our national security and affect millions of people on the East Coast, teams of federal agents, intelligence analysts, and prosecutors from the Departments of Justice, Homeland Security, and other government agencies have focused on the basic techniques that investigators use in all financial crimes: looking for the money. While these are basic techniques, learning and analyzing cryptocurrency research requires advanced tools and training, Callahan told our editorial team.
Darkside Wallet visualization was provided to Bitcoin.com News by Blockchain Intelligence Group.
- In the case of Colonial, researchers tracked down the coin using data in the Bitcoin blockchain, a public ledger, added Callahan, a researcher with the Blockchain Intelligence Group. Investigators and analysts monitor using bitcoin flow tracking software to track [transactions] in real time. This type of software, along with traditional investigative techniques and cooperation with our foreign law enforcement agencies, is necessary to disrupt and dismantle these extortion gangs.
How about the fact that the Darkside hackers lost $2.3 million to the FBI? Let us know what you think in the comments below.
Tags in this story
2.3 million, bitcoin, bitcoin (BTC), bitcoin seizure, Colonial Pipeline, Darkside, Department of Justice (DOJ), deputy attorney general, DOJ, FBI, Lisa Monaco, ransomware, hacker extortion, United States, U.S. agents Photo credit: Shutterstock, Pixabay, Wiki Commons, Courtlistener.com, Blockchain Intelligence Group, Denial: This article is for information only. It is not a direct offer or invitation to buy or sell, nor is it a recommendation or endorsement of any goods, services or companies. Bitcoin.com does not provide investment, tax, legal, or accounting advice. Neither the company nor the author shall be liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use of or reliance on any content, goods or services referred to in this article.The FBI found the private key to the wallet from which the hackers stole the funds. Citing an FBI Special Agent with knowledge of the case, Reuters reported that the private key was found in a computer belonging to one of the hacker group’s members, a teen who is currently being held on suspicion of computer intrusion, according to multiple media outlets.. Read more about colonial pipeline ransom and let us know what you think.
bitcoin pricecolonial pipeline hack explainedcolonial pipeline ceocolonial pipeline mapcolonial pipeline ransomransomware,People also search for,Privacy settings,How Search works,See more,Ransomware,bitcoin price,colonial pipeline hack explained,colonial pipeline ceo,colonial pipeline ransom,darkside,colonial pipeline stock
Marouane Hajji, Founder of Unslashed Finance – Interview Series
“Best of crypto” is a term often thrown around by people to describe an ICO…
Upbit warns its users about 25 altcoins
Upbit, one of the major cryptocurrency exchanges in South Korea, has recently issued a warning…
Bull Perks: The fairest and most community-dedicated platform giving access to early-stage deals
Bull Perks (Bull is the most popular cryptocurrency exchange in the world) is a community-powered…
PayPal processed nearly $2 billion worth of Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Litecoin trades in May
PayPal processed $1.9 billion worth of cryptocurrency transactions in May, according to the company’s most…
Shiba Inu Price Analysis $0.000007
Shiba Inu Price Analysis $0.000007 Shiba Inu is a cryptocurrency that was founded in 2015…
Wirex boosts the crypto market with Cryptocurrency debit cards
Wirex is a London-based fintech company that helps people store, spend, and earn digital assets…